1/12/12

Creative Cake Design

       WHO doesn't LOVE cake?? Who doesn't eat waay to much at weddings, birthdays or parties?? In the day we live in cakes have become WAY more then just something that tastes good. They are an artistic expression. A talent. A speciality. A way to show who you are and bring out parts of YOUR unique self.

I would like to introduce Creative Cake Design by Natalie Mathews!! She, like many of us, is a wife AND mother of 3!! Also, like myself, she wanted to stay home and be devoted to her husband and family PLUS bring in some extra money.
                                                     Here is a little about Natalie!!
(photo not by Shauna Fortner Photography)
 I am a 27 year old stay at home mom to 3 beautiful kids, a full time education student in my senior year and a full time wife. My husband is a police officer and works long hours so I am here at home a lot by myself. I have always been a little on the "artsy" side and have 'dabbled' in several different areas of the arts, (sewing, painting, hair design, make up and music) I guess I inherited the art gene, you could say,from my uncle. He made cakes to pay his way through college and is now the Professor of Costume Design at Middle Tennessee University...

 A few years back, I decided to teach myself how to make cakes, not just the boxed cake with the awful  icing. I began in my kitchen experimenting with chocolate, fondant, sugar...and many other aspects of cake making. All of my recipes for my cakes came from a little wooden box that sits in my grandmothers kitchen. I started small, only doing cakes for my siblings birthdays and relatives, people that didn't pay me, just as a way to practice. I always say that I can teach myself anything, because that is how I learned to sew, make cakes, play guitar etc... and accecpt the challenge of any job. I have a website, but as we all know, word of mouth is the best advertising tool there is. I have done most of my business through people that I know or are friends of friends. I enjoy what I do, and will continue even after I graduate school. Creating custom cakes is something that allows me to be creative and is another outlet!

My website tells a little more about the business and what I do or can do. I have not done too many weddings, and am just now getting into pulled sugar...my sister is getting married in September this year and her cake request has pushed me to new avenues of learning and skill!

        Please take the time to visit her site and email her for your NEXT party!! With cake flavors like Dutch Apple cake or 7-UP cake along side Cinnamon frosting or fresh fruit filling WHY would you not??



IF you OR someone you know would like to be featured on my blog from anything from making tutu's to woodwork to hair styling and BEYOND email Shauna Fortner to get more info!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Shauna Fortner Photography
CoffeeShop Designs
Background Paper by Sassy Designs